Monday 12 July 2010

A New Beginning

after neglecting the blog horribly for many years. i'm wanting to come back (reading other blogs does that).

i'm going to leave my old entries here.. otherwise its like ripping pages out of an old diary.. might feel good when you do it, but later on you probably wish you hadn't..

First thing's first.
i like learning new things...
Crochet  -  i started wanting to learn it last month or two.. the urge built up more and more (helped by reading about it all the time online) until i rummaged around and found mums/grandmas old crochet hooks, and the giant bags of leftover wools/yarns

the majority of these were pink and other .. unusable colours. (orange, peach, a boring green).. me not being a girly girl means this is terrible news. I don't want to make everything in pink,
so we bought me some yarn..from Spotlight of course.. Brisbane doesnt seem to have any other places that sell yarns... (Lincaft has nearly disappeared)

and i put the Jan Eaton book "200 Crochet Blocks" on hold at the library

I've got it now.. and first thing in my mind was:  i thought it would be a much fatter book.



but its fine. its insides make up for its thinness.




First project - an "afghan" (why on earth they are called afghans i don't know) or more realistically a "blanket" made up of many of these blocks. all in the same colour scheme, but different designs.
i don't want it to take me 10 years
[maybe not] realistically i'm hoping for a few months for completion.


beginning is slow..

my first try at a block from the book was number 3 - Square Target

I don't have many crochet hooks available to me. so i'm using a size 3 mm.. but i think this yarn is meant to be used with a size 4 mm.
the band on the yarns says size 4 knitting needles.. but i didnt know if that was also same size in crochet hooks (So confusing)

I looked at a pattern spotlight has using this yarn, and they used a size 4 mm crochet hook.
so i was/am a bit stumped.
I have no size 4, only 2, 2.5 and 3

My first attempt at Square Target was kind of ripply ... so it got unravelled. and i'm trying again and i've gotten rid of one of the ch on the corners of the pattern..

so far so good.


hopefully I can just use what materials i have to complete this blanket/"afghan"

No comments:

Post a Comment