Thursday 29 September 2011

Forgotten Photos

Don't you just hate it when you forget to take a photo of your works in progress.. despite having brought your camera with you specifically for that purpose?

well i do.
haha

I think because our printmaking teacher Margaret was away today i must have become disoriented.. and it did take me ages to do everything.
Such nervousness! I had no Margaret to help with the setting up of the fume cabinet and pouring/setting out of acid - so i was obliged to do it all myself.
I didn't blow myself up so i consider it to have been a success
bonus - was able to etch my zinc plate (7 minutes in 8:1) clean it off, set up the water trough tray, put my paper in, set the press which was weirdly missing its blankets and acetate, so i had to find those and put them in. Also had to clean the glass i was going to put my ink onto - it was definitely NOT clean... and they are meant to be left CLEAN (grr)
had issues with the thickness of the ink, didn't mix in enough "easy wipe" had to re-ink my plate. couldn't find any Tarletan, had to make do with the yellow pages paper and tissue paper.
Printed twice, cleaned the plate, put the press to bed, cleaned my spot. Degreased my plate and put some more Hard Ground on it.. will be working more on it at home. and put away the acid.

man i wish i had taken photos.  i got more done than i thought i would, especially with there being no margaret.

Did have a bit of a scare though. I had finished etching my plate and was just walking around getting things and i felt like there was a burning spot on my arm!
ran over to the sink and washed my arm thoroughly and the burning sensation went away. Phew! first time i've had an acid scare like that.
I'm always worried about it though.. i mean.. its acid, pretty dangerous.

No wonder Artists in the past didnt really live very long.. all the toxins that were used

Bonus photos (because i dont like to have so much text and there be no pictures) of an etching i made in 2008

Reclaimed by the Sea, 2008


And that etching was the inspiration behind this Painting i did earlier this year, in my Painting with Traditional Media class, using the Fresco technique.


Sally (our teacher) mixed the plaster, and we applied it to small boards we had scored with blades so that the plaster could grip more firmly. we were encouraged to give the plaster texture, not to have it very smooth and plain.
then we painted with pigments.. plaster sucks it in = perma painting

No comments:

Post a Comment